Thursday, May 5, 2016

Tyler White "I feel like I'm putting good swings on the ball"

Tyler White, dubbed the "great white" by teammate Lance McCullers, after his hot start to the season, has had a bit of a rough go at the plate lately. In the past 14 days, he is batting .063 and in the past 7 days .059, the hits have just not been there dispte the way he filled up the stat sheet early in the season.

"I had about a week where I was a little bit in my own head, but since about the end of (the) Seattle (road series) and to Oakland (it's been) just tough luck," Tyler White said, "I've hit the ball hard, I've made a lot of contact since then, I haven't been striking out near as much as I was."

To his credit only two strikeouts in the past 7 days. White does like the looks he is getting, he feels he is connecting with the ball pretty good. The problem is the baseball is just running into fielders.

"I wouldn't say it's bad luck, right now I'm just hitting the ball where they are, I don't know if that's luck or just how it happens," White shared, "I'll probably get 10 hits in two weeks that are jam jobs here soon, it's just the way baseball goes, trying not to worry about it, trying to stay even keel."

While White did rip through minor league pitching and during spring training, he's not immune to struggles he's fought through slumps before.

"I had a struggle in double-A, I don't know how bad it was, I struggled a little bit there, then I went up to Fresno, the whole time I hit pretty well, I had a struggled in the Dominican (0-18 hitless streak), White said, "I know in low-A, I was doing kinda the same as here, started out the well in low-A, and then could not find a hit, then got really hot before I left."

The knowledge he's broken through slumps is keeping him going but he understands this is the dog days right now.

"It's mentally draining at times, I'm just trying to stay in my routine," White said, "I know I prepare every day, I prepare really well, I get myself ready for the game, I work hard, I've done it before and I can do it again, it will start falling for me."

The grind is daily and White is doing plenty of work behind the scenes to try and break out of this funk.

"I look at the swings and pitches every day," White said, "I've been swinging at good pitches and I've got pitches to hit and I've hit the ball on the barrel, right now it's up, down, right at second base."

He likes what he is doing at the plate and his track record shows it's only a matter of time before he starts raking again.

"I feel like I'm putting good swings on the ball, my timings there, the high fly balls will turn into line drives here soon and hit's will start coming," White said.

No comments:

Post a Comment